Woburn or its vicinity first visited by white men. Very mild winter.
Edward Converse and two others sent to explore.
Grants of land made to Ezekiel and Thomas Richardson.
Very mild winter.
Waterfield supply lots laid out and reserved.
Highway laid out by Edward Converse and Ezekiel Richardson.
Woburn a grant by Gen. Court to Charlestown, and called Charlestowne Village.
Town explored by Norwell, Converse and others.
Committee searched for the grant of two miles square (Woburn) May 15.
Tree fall, and miraculous escape of party, September
General Court voted and found Charlestown Village, (Woburn.)
Seven commissioners, viz.; Edward Converse, Edward Johnson, Ezekiel Richardson, John Mousall, Thomas Graves, Samuel Richardson and Thomas Richardson appointed to settle town, November 5.
Town boundaries laid out, Montvale first selected as the site for the village.
Woburn Centre selected November 17.
Captain Edward Johnson chosen first Town Clerk, December 18.
First dwelling-house built (at south part of town) by Edward Converse.
First mill built (at south part of town) by Edward Converse.
Woburn Centre confirmed as the site, February 29.
First dwelling-house built there on Reed Estate near 2nd Burial Ground by John Mousall.
Long Bridge over Horn Pond River made, August 26.
First lots laid out at Woburn Centre.
First marriage in town, George Farley and Christian Births, April 9.
First bridge built over Aberjona River, February 10.
First sermon preached in town by Rev. Zachariah Symmes, November 21, O.S.
First birth in town, Increase Winn, son of Edward, December 5.
Town of Woburn incorporated September 27, O.S., October 7, N.S.
Act of incorporation reads, "Charlestowne Village is called Wooborne."
Town named from Woburn, England, for General Robert Sedgewick.
First death in town, Hannah Richardson, April 8.
First church built on Southerly side of Common about this time.
First church gathered 7 members, August 14, O.S., or 24, N.S.
First minister, Rev. Thomas Carter ordained, November 22, O.S., by laying on of hands by 2 laymen.
First Parsonage commenced March 1, on lot now S. Wood Homestead.
First Burial Ground laid out, Park Street.
Woburn the 20th town in Massachusetts Colony as to time of incorporation and 30th in the State.
Salary of Rev. Thomas Carter 80 pounds a year, by law children were to be catechised once a week.
About 30 families in town, about 150 inhabitants.
First general town meeting held, November 9, Absence from public meeting without excuse a fine of 18 pence.
Edward Converse, Ezekiel Richardson and others appointed a committee to lay out road to Cambridge.
First Town Meeting held for organization, April 13. Same day chose first town officers, viz.: Edward Johnson, Edward Converse, John Mousall, William Learned, Ezekiel Richardson, Samuel Richardson and James Thompson, Selectmen, William Learned, Constable and 3 Highway Surveyors.
Great snow storms, first streets laid out.
Partition agreement made between Lynn Village (Reading) and Woburn, May 29.
Upstreet, Sawpit Lane and Military Lane laid out, November.
Pay of deputy to General Court, sixpence per day and board.
Road to Reading commenced, highway to Mistick Bridge (Medford) laid out.
Plain Street and Driver's Lane laid out.
Richardson's Row Road laid out.
Ezekiel Richardson, one of the original founders died, October 21.
Thomas Richardson, one of the original founders died, August 28.
60 families in town, 74 members of the church. First silver money coined by the State seen in town.
Petition to General Court for Christian liberty presented.
Thomas Graves, one of the original founders died.
Johnson's Wonder Working Providence Book, published in London.
New Bridge, (North Woburn) named for newbridge over river.
Samuel Richardson, one of the original founders died, March 23.
Highway to Mistick again laid out.
Burbeen Garrison House (Main, op. Church Street) built this year or soon after.
Baldwin House (North Woburn) built by Henry Baldwin.
Edward Converse, one of the original founders died, August 10, great earthquake.
John Mousall, one of the original founders died, March 27.
Joshua Reed Garrison House (on Francis Wyman Farm, Coytemore Grant, Burlington) near Billerica line, built about this time.
Gershom Flagg had a tannery just back of Unitarian and Baptist Churches.
Samuel Converse killed by water wheel (in Mill at South Woburn), February 20.
Woman killed by an Indian at Woburn Precinct. (Havenville, Burlington.)
Child born without breast or backbone, said to be punishment for believing in Baptist doctrines.
First practitioner of medicine in town as per records, Susanna Brooks.
Court ordered that the selectmen go round and see if the children are catechized according to law.
An Indian hung in chains for murdering a maid, September 8.
Joseph Wright indicted for connection with the practices of the Baptists.
Edward Johnson, Town Clerk from 1640 to this year.
Second Meeting house built on hill east of Common. Only 3 pews ever permitted to be built for said church, and remain.
Edward Johnson, last survivor of the original founders died.
William Johnson, his son, chosen Town Clerk.
First school as per records kept by Mrs. Allen Converse and Mrs. Joseph Wright. Pay for both, 5 shillings for the year and board.
First public schoolmaster Jonathan Thompson, first public schoolmistress Mrs. Allen Converse.
Pay for both of the above, $5 for the year and board.
Two Selectmen fined for non-attendance at meeting, six pence each.
By law, no person could harbor a stranger over 3 days without consent of the Selectman.
An Indian killed by a white man on the training field, Woburn Centre, October.
Woburn soldiers sent to King Phillip's War
First known tavern kept by Samuel Walker, Said Walker was the first person licensed to sell intoxicating liquor.
Said Walker was fined 20 shillings for improper sale of liquor.
Joshua Converse Garrison House built about this time.
Hopestill Foster fined for oppression in charging inordinate wages.
Samuel Richardson's wife and children killed by Indians, April 10.
9 Tithing men chosen to have oversight of their neighbors.
Town paid Allen Converse for keeping school 2 years, $5 and board.
Irish Charity sent to sufferers by Indian Wars, Woburn had a share.
Town paid persons for killing wolves, 10 shillings each.
Town furnished 58 soldiers for King Phillip's Indian War.
Town appointed 26 men to look after boys in the Meeting House, 2 at a time.
Drunken men fined, town paid for killing wolves, 10 shillings each.
Meeting House enlarged, men fined for being drunk.
Town paid Allen Converse's wife, keeping school 1 year, 10 shillings and board.
Small-pox very prevalent.
Widow Allen Converse kept school 1 year, pay 10 shillings and board.
9 Tithing men chose to inspect the doings of people, 92 families in town.
Newton's great comet appeared.
First pauper in town, George Wilkinson.
Town paid for 3 quarts of rum for his funeral.
Rev. Thomas Carter died, town paid for 14 gallons of wine for his funeral.
100 families in town, a maid was said to be possessed of an evil spirit.
First Grammar School, Thomas Carter, teacher.
Pay $25 per year and board. No scholars appeared.
Town again hired Carter as teacher. Pay $25, if scholars. If none, 30 shillings.
Widow Walker kept school 1 year for 10 shillings and board.
Women reproved by the authorities for extravagance in dress.
Measles very prevalent, Major James Converse chosen Town Clerk.
Remarkable drought in Spring.
Captain John Carter died, September 14, town 50 years old, about 550 population.
Captain Converse's great fight with Indians, at Welles, Maine.
Mrs. Walker appointed to keep school 1 year, salary 7 shillings and board.
Mrs. Walker appointed to keep school 1 year, salary 10 shillings and board.
First Town Treasurer elected.
Cutler (Simonds) House, Cummingsville, erected.
First place provided by town to keep school in, tax payers in town, 187.
John Fox taught grammar school 4 months for $45.
Total of births in town as per records up to this year, 1313.
Total of deaths in town as per records up to this year, 340.
John Fox taught grammar school 1 year, salary $90.
Major James Converse, son of Ensign James Converse died, July 8.
225 polls in town, town value of real estate in town, 22 pounds, 8 shillings, 3 pence.
Woburn, 4th town in County for population and wealth.
Meeting House again enlarged.
R. Wadsworth kept grammar school 6 months for $60, and board.
First recorded non-resident physician, Dr. James Kittredge.
First pew built and used in church, by Colonel Jonathan Tyng.
First school-house erected (by private subscription).
Count Rumford's birthplace, North Woburn, built about this time.
Ensign James Converse died, May 10. (Son of Deacon Edward Converse).
Very deep snow.
First resident physician, Dr. Peters.
Samuel Blodgett born, April 1.
305 taxpayers in town, Lovewell's fight, Paugus slain. May 19, N.S. Woburn soldiers there.
Great Earthquake, October 29.
Rev. Edward Jackson, ordained, 6 1-2, B. cider, 25 gallons wine, 2 do brandy, 4 do rum, furnished.
Wilmington set off, Salary of Rev. M. Fox, $400.
Second Parish, (Woburn Precinct, Burlington) incorporated September 27.
Meeting House in Woburn Precinct (Burlington), built, cost $943.17.
Town sold 2000 acres of land.
First minister in Woburn Precinct settled, Rev. Supply Clapp.
Two Indians came to Old Converse House, viz.: Joel Suckermug and Tim Squawk.
Town 100 years old, population about 1400.
Colonel Loammi Baldwin born, January 10.
Third Meeting House raised, Parish furnished 2 bbls. cider, 20 gal. rum to raise it with.
Prince Walker sold as a slave, July 10. First Episcopal Society formed.
First services held in Old Simonds House.
Third Meeting House (on Common) finished.
Count Rumford born, March 26.
David Cummings commenced tanning on estate late used by Hon. John Cummings.
John Fowle noted teacher kept school 1758 to 1770.
Old Cutler House owned by Benjamin Simonds, Episcopal Society held services there.
Town had but one Schoolhouse up to this time. Bears seen on Old Converse Place, Salem Street about this time.
Black Horse Tavern (South Woburn) built about this time.
Population 1575, number of dwelling-houses 228.
Meeting House enlarged.
20 persons frozen to death. Graded schools established 1760 to 1775.
Very mild winter.
Asahel Porter killed in Battle of Lexington, April 19. Daniel Thompson killed at Battle of Lexington.
Nathaniel Kendall killed by Benjamin Edgell's stallion. His blood is on floor of the Captain Isaac Richardson house, Central Square.
Hancock, Adams and Dorothy Quincy concealed at house of Mad. Jones at Woburn Precinct, April 19.
First British prisoners of the Revolution confined in dwelling house of Captain James Reed, Woburn Precinct, April 19.
Last bear killed on Jacob Ames' farm, New Boston.
Tax payers in town, 311.
Small-pox very prevalent.
Washington entertained at Black Horse Tavern, South Woburn. Population, 1691.
Hurricane tore off roof, Woburn Precinct Church, August 15.
Dark Day, May 19.
First Baptist Church organized, June 16.
First financial panic known. Tax payers in town, 332.
First Pastor of the Baptist Church, Rev. Thomas Green, installed November 17.
Meeting House Hill surveyed for sale.
Ichabod Parker's Hotel, (Mishawum House) opened May. Small-pox very prevalent.
The Ark Tavern nearly opp. then kept by Bartholomew Richardson.
Last deer killed in town by ______ Fisk on mountain, opposite Old Tay Tavern, North Woburn.
Social Library founded.
Simon Reed sold his wife to James Butters of Wilmington for a yoke of oxen, valued at $40.
First lawyer in Woburn, Joseph Bartlett, Esq., commenced practice.
Inhabitants in town, 1,727. Influenza epidemic.
Black House, Central Square, raised August 25, Joseph Bartlett owner.
Black House, so-called, because it was painted black.
Hannah Winship (Boutelle) born in Woburn, March 25, died in Ohio, April 10, 1892, aged 101 years, 16 days.
School Districts first established.
Town 150 years old.
Small-pox very prevalent.
Town voted to raise for expenses, 581 pounds, 8 shillings.
Population about 1,750.
Fourth of July celebrated in town for the first time.
Proprietors of Middlesex Canal incorporated, June 22.
New Burying Place, Montvale Avenue, established by the Parish.
James Walker, President of Harvard College, born here, August 16.
First Baptist Church, Main Street, finished. Rev. Joseph Burbeen died.
Nine Schoolhouses erected at a cost of $2000.
Town voted to raise 773 pounds, 12 shillings, for the year.
Zeb. Wyman opened store opposite Common.
A. Thompson opened store at New Bridge.
First U. S. Post Office in Woburn (at Mishawum House.)
Ichabod Parker first postmaster, appointed October 3.
Cavalry Company formed. First Baptist Church established.
First School exhibition in town. Resident tax payers, 353.
Burlington set off, February 28.
Raised for School purposes, $300.
Great display of shooting stars, November 12.
Great Centennial Jubilee at Blodgett House, North Woburn.
Town raised by vote $2227.82 for the year.
Dwelling-houses in town, 156.
Hawker's Square (now Central Square) so named about this time, because it was then a great resort for produce vendors.
Only one painted house in town as per records.
Population 1228, including 18 colored persons.
Town raised for school purposes, $350.
Currying shops in town, 22.
Saw mills in town, 3.
Grist mills in town, 7.
Only one store in town.
Public services held on death of General Washington.
Meeting House stood on Common.
First Instrumental Band established "Woburn Clarionet Band," 7 pieces.
John Wade opened store on Main Street, Woburn Centre.
Capital for same, $170.
First boats ran on Middlesex Canal, April 22.
Saw mills in town, 3.
Grist mills in town, 7.
Uncommon deep snow.
Middlesex canal opened for business.
Rev. Jacob Coggin died.
Second financial panic
Rev. Joseph Chickering ordained, March 28, at "Bud Parker's Tavern.
Great snow storms.
First mail stage.
Clapp House (Brick Tavern) raised and fell, July 14, 3 killed, 20 wounded.
Charitable Religious Library founded.
Colonel Loammi Baldwin died, October 20.
Meeting House on Common burned, June 17.
Great thunder storm, much damage done, July 17.
Fourth Meeting House, corner of Pleasant and Winn streets, dedicated June 17.
Deacon Tidd House, Main Street, raised May 23, a piece of Horn Pond Island added after.
Cold Friday, January 19, two men frozen to death, Joseph and Benjamin Brooks.
Town voted to raise $2086.12 for the year.
December 25, first called Christmas.
Great Comet appeared.
Very great Snow drifts, 10 feet deep, February 4.
Candle mass Day first so named.
First Baptist Church incorporated.
Powder House on Powder House Hill, built by town.
Cuff Trot, a former slave of Rev. Thomas Jones, Woburn Precinct, died.
General Abijah Thompson commenced tanning near corner of Cambridge and Russell streets, $2 capital.
Famous September gale.
U.S. License to Abijah Thompson as tanner, October 21.
Charitable Reading Society of Congregational Church organized June 21.
First Universalist Meeting held.
First elephant in U.S. exhibition in shed of Wood's Tavern, where the National Bank Block now stands, admission nine pence.
Baptist Sunday School organized May, 339 scholars.
First Congregational Sunday School organized June 17, 575 scholars.
Third financial panic.
Washington Light Infantry char. July 5.
Benjamin F. Thompson commenced a tannery at Cummingsville.
Montvale Avenue Burial Place purchased by Town of Parish.
Prince Walker, colored man, died, aged 115 years.
Warren Academy founded.
First Universalist Society organized.
Second Baptist Church, Pleasant Street finished.
First Baptist Church leased to Universalist Society.
Warren Academy opened.
Salem Street laid out.
First Fire Engine "The Woburn" purchased by Town.
First Universalist Church (now the Armory) dedicated December 23.
First Universalist Minister, Rev. Otis. A. Skinner, settled December 23.
Great flight of Wild Pigeons. Immense number killed.
Woburn Agricultural and Mechanic Association incorporated, March 5.
Henry Clay entertained at Mishawum House.
Warren Academy incorporated.
Friction matches introduced about this time.
Steel Pens first used in town.
Great display of Shooting Stars, November 13.
Immense display of Shooting Stars, November 13.
John Mousall House, first built in Woburn Centre burned.
Dunham's Pond, near Central Square, drained about this time by Abel Wyman, John C. Brackett and Benjamin Wood, owners of the land.
First train of cars on Boston & Lowell Railroad, ran a trial trip on May 27, drawn by the "Stephenson" engine, 15 tons weight.
Boston & Lowell Railroad opened for business, Wednesday, June 24.
Baptist Vestry used for Town Meetings for several years about this time.
Park Street a lane ending at Slaughter House of Reed & Tweed opposite First Burying Ground.
Young Men's Library founded.
Woburn Mechanic Phalanx organized, October 1.
Town raised $4768.26 for the year.
Four tanneries in Town, 77 hands in do.
383 men, 320 women employed in the Shoe business.
Fourth financial panic.
One Congregational Church, One Universalist Church and two Baptist Churches in town.
Warren Academy burned.
Town raised $4160.47 for the year.
Independent Baptist Church organized.
Warren Academy new building finished.
Woburn Sentinel paper commenced, First newspaper in Woburn.
Town voted $1200 for support of schools.
North Woburn Library founded, November 19.
First Congregational Church, South Woburn, organized and Church built, Rev. George P. Smith, first Pastor.
Woburn Gazette commenced.
Fifth Meeting House, corner of Pleasant and Winn Streets, dedicated December 31.
Art of Vulcanizing rubber discovered by Goodyear at Montvale about this time.
Fowle Tavern (Central House estate) taken down.
Central House built by Joseph Rollins.
Town raised $7386.16 for the year.
Central House Stable built.
Woburn Marion Band, 22 pieces, formed.
Crystal Fount Lodge, No. 9, I.O.O.F, instituted April 6.
Remarkable mild winter.
Town 200 years old.
Population about 3000.
Seizure of game cocks, etc., at Horn Pond House, February 5.
The gamblers were tried in the Baptist Vestry. The cocks and implements were destroyed on the Common.
Second Universalist Society formed.
Wild Pig Hunt.
First Catholic Church in Woburn.
Central House kept by Henry Flagg.
Old Baptist Church, Main Street, moved off 1843 to 1846.
Great comet appeared.
Second Universalist Church, corner of Main and Walnut Streets, dedicated November 22.
Woburn Branch Railroad opened for business.
Eli Cooper engineer on first train.
New England Family newspaper commenced.
Woburn Cemetery, Salem Street, dedicated October 20.
Only one dwelling-house in Highland District, J. G. Pollard's.
Woburn Gazette (2nd) commenced.
Woburn Weekly Advertiser commenced.
Two Congregational, two Baptist and one Universalist Church in town.
Woburn Guide Post commenced.
Congregational Church, North Woburn, organized, Rev. Samuel Sewall, first Pastor.
Congregational Church, North Woburn, Sunday School, organized November, 150 scholars.
First Unitarian Society formed.
Woburn A. & M. Association burglarized, August 5.
South Woburn Library Association established March 20.
Congregational Church, North Woburn, legally organized, March 1.
Congregational Church building, North Woburn, dedicated October 11.
Leather shops in town, 13, Boot and shoe shops in town, 26.
Methodist Sunday School organized August 1, 141 scholars.
Number of dwelling-houses, 617.
Winchester set off.
Methodist Episcopal Church established.
Woburn Journal established.
Woburn Fire Department established.
First Unitarian Parish established.
First High School established.
Very mild winter.
Woburn Bank incorporated.
Unitarian Sunday School, organized May, 65 scholars.
St. Charles (Roman Catholic) Church organized.
Woburn Five Cents Savings Bank incorporated.
Dr. Augustus Plympton died of Asiatic Cholera, June 12.
Young Men's Literary Association organized, November 7.
Lyceum Hall Association organized.
Clapp House, Central Square, taken down, August.
Woburn 30th town as to time of incorporation of the 331 cities and towns in Mass.
Lyceum Hall built.
First Public Library opened.
Mt. Horeb Lodge of Masons instituted.
Irish Literary Association instituted.
Pippy's Circulating Library Instituted.
Woburn Budget commenced.
Fifth financial panic.
First Baptist Church, additional Act of Incorporation.
Colonel John Wade died, July.
Donati's Comet appeared.
Burbeen Garrison House, on Main, opposite Church street, taken down.
Natural History Society organized.
Catholic Cemetery, Montvale, consecrated.
Great display of Aurora Borealis, September 2.
First Congregational Church, Main Street, corner of Church Avenue, dedicated October 31.
Town first adopted a seal, Population, 6287.
Tax rate $6.42.
Number of dwelling-houses, 988.
Woburn Union Guard organized July 27.
Great snow storm, March.
Valuation, $4, 564,384.
Tax rate $5.30.
Town raised $26,779.10.
Number of dwelling-houses, 1074.
Woburn Mechanic Phalanx War Company organized August 14.
Population 6,500, Number of polls, 1760, Tax rate, $5.80, Valuation, $4,653,406.
First National Bank Block erected.
Woburn National Rangers organized August 5.
Woburn Townsman commenced.
Honorable Bowen Buckman died, November 16.
Second Company Woburn Mechanic Phalanx formed July 6.
Harris Guard left for seat of War, October 30.
One Hundred Days Company left for seat of War, July 28.
203 men, 105 women employed in making boots and shoes.
First National Bank of Woburn chartered.
Good Samaritan Lodge, I.O.G.T., instituted October 17.
Number of polls, 1897, Valuation, $5,212,476.
Tax rate, $16.
Amount raised by town for the year $87,432.37.
Schoolhouses in town, 12.
Four patent and enameled leather shops in town with 58 hands.
Unitarian Church, corner of Pleasant and Winn streets, dedicated April 12.
Tanning and Currying shops in town, 21, with 554 hands.
Unitarian Society of North Woburn established.
Number of Schools, 28, teachers, 30, pupils, 1,483.
Young Men's Library Christian Association, North Woburn, established July 17.
Protestant Episcopal Church Sunday School organized, 40 scholars.
Great display of Shooting Stars, November 14.
Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 3, organized September 20.
Great snow storm January 17, trains blocked all night, 22 degrees below zero.
Great display of Shooting Stars, November 14.
Grosvenor & Co.'s Circulating Library established.
First Episcopal Church organized.
Celebration of 100th birthday of Joshua Converse in Lyceum Hall, January 21.
First telegraphic message sent from Woburn, January 22, by S. Horton.
Burbank Post, No. 33, G.A.R., chartered November 5.
Mishawum Club incorporated.
Celtic Association organized, March 4.
First Episcopal Church built.
General Abijah Thompson died, June 7.
Great display of Shooting Stars, November 14.
Joshua Converse died February 5, aged 101 years, 16 days.
Dedication of Soldier's Monument on Common, October 14.
First Unitarian Parish Sunday School Library established.
First Catholic Church, Main Street consecrated.
First Baptist Church Sunday School Library established.
Population, 8,560, Valuation, $7,823,555.
Number of dwelling-houses, 1,323.
Tax rate, $13.
Woburn Advertiser commenced.
St. Charles Catholic T.A. Society organized.
National Band Association organized, November.
Great display of Shooting Stars, November 27.
Young Independent Paper commenced.
Great display of Northern Lights, February 4.
Population, 9,350, Number of polls, 2,891, Valuation, $8,718,000.
Great fire on Main Street, corner of Walnut, March 6.
Tax rate, $15.70.
Sixth financial panic.
Honorable J. B. Winn died, December 12.
Water first let on to Woburn Water Works, October 9.
Loyal Orange Ins. of U.S., No Surrender Lodge, 110, organized October 24.
United Order of Golden Cross, Woburn Chapter, 68, organized September 19.
First Baptist Church rebuilt.
Our Paper commenced.
Charles Bowers Winn, donor of Woburn Public Library, died December 19.
Winn Public Library bequest accepted by Town.
North Woburn Chapel Association incorporated.
North Woburn Chapel dedicated, December.
Tax rate, $16.60.
Converse Garrison House, Salem Street, taken down.
Masonic Mutual Relief Association of Mt. Horeb Lodge organized, December 15.
Silent Worker Paper commenced.
Walnut Hill Shooting Range established.
Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division 18, organized.
Woburn Brass Band organized, September 1.
Very mild winter.
Rumford Historical Association organized, March 26.
Knights of Honor, Rumford Lodge, 618, instituted.
Young Men's Christian Association organized February 16.
Royal Arcanum, Baldwin Council, 125, organized July 24.
St. Joseph's Church (Roman Catholic) organized.
Weekly Independent commenced. Valuation, $8,150,730.
Tax rate, $13.50.
Winn Public Library opened May 1.
Very mild winter.
Woburn Item commenced.
Petition of women in Woburn to be taxed for purpose of voting, July 4.
Perseverance Lodge, S. of T., Division 6, organized November 24.
United Order of Pilgrim Fathers, Brewster Colony, 19, organized June 30.
Population, 10,931, Dwelling-houses, 1,691.
Women of Woburn first voted for School Committee.
Knights of Labor organized, November 9.
Dark or yellow day, September 6.
Grattan Echo commenced.
Hope Degree College.
Daughters of Rebeka instituted.
American Legion of Honor, Woburn Council, (First) 774, organized November 28.
Massachusetts Catholic Order of Foresters, Quealy Court, organized March 6.
Fourth District Court of Eastern Middlesex, established July 1.
Parker L. Converse appointed Justice of Court.
Edward F. Johnson appointed Clerk of Court.
Population, 11,759, Tax rate, $19.00.
Woburn Courier commenced.
Public Telephone first opened, January 10.
Bellevue Club, organized October 16.
Woburn Women's Club, founded February 23.
Tax rate, $15.70, Population, 11,454.
New Congregational Church, North Woburn, built.
Honorable Charles Choate died.
New Congregational Church, North Woburn, dedicated February 19.
Tax rate, $20.00.
Union Weekly established.
Woburn Post, 161, G.A.R instituted January 23.
First Passenger Train over Woburn Loop of B. & L. Railroad, Woburn to Wilmington, November 30.
First Passenger Train over Woburn Loop, Boston to Wilmington, December 14.
Said Woburn Loop opened for public travel, December 14.
Mishawum Club incorporated.
Population, 11,750. Woburn Board of Trade, organized March 25.
Electric Lights first introduced in town, July 21.
Innitou Canoe Club organized May 20.
Lewis Music School established September.
St. John Baptist Church (colored) organized November 18.
Tax rate, $16.60.
East Middlesex, Street Railroad commenced November.
Home for Aged Women established October 5.
Fireman's Relief Association organized July 14.
Ancient Order of United Workmen organized June 2.
Home for Aged Women incorporated February 25.
Woburn Co-operative Bank organized February 10, Woburn Co-operative Bank incorporated February 21.
Burbank Women's Relief Corps, 84, organized March 17.
Woburn Equal Suffrage League organized February 5.
Improved Order of Red Men, Shawsheen Tribe, 49, organized October 4.
Population, 12,760, Tax rate, $18.80.
Number of dwelling-houses, 2,007.
Royal Order of Good Fellows, Aberjona A., 90, instituted June 16.
Tax rate, $19.70.
Benjamin E. Bond appointed Clerk of Fourth District Court vice, E. F. Johnson resigned.
East Middlesex Street Railroad opened for travel, July 2.
City of Woburn incorporated June 12, vote for charter 966 to 32.
First election under charter, December 4, Edward F. Johnson elected First Mayor.
Woburn Five Cents Savings Bank Block erected.
Dow's Block, Main Street erected.
Order of United American Mechanics, Liberty Council, No. 38, organized November 27.
Equitable Aid Union, Woburn Lodge, No. 682, organized November 7.
United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, 421, organized June 7.
Woburn High School Battalion organized.
Woburn Veteran Fireman's Association organized April 10.
Post-office free delivery commenced October 1.
Very mild winter.
Number of polls, 3,672.
Number of dwelling-houses, 2,085.
Daughters of Pocahontas, Nahmeokee Lodge, 17, organized January 6.
Net City debt January 1, $461,746.74.
Number of dwelling-houses, 2,145.
Tax rate, $17.20.
Woburn Daily City Press established.
Salvation Army organized January 7.
Board of Erin instituted April 21.
Woburn News commenced July 19.
Ashley Hall School, Montvale, opened September 26.
Woburn Water Works first self-sustaining.
Tax rate, $16.50.
New Methodist Episcopal Church, Main Street, built.
Deacon Tidd House moved. A piece of it came from Horn Pond Island.
Woburn Encampment, No. 72, I.O.O.F., organized December 12.
Daughters of Liberty, Martha Washington Council, 14, organized February 22.
Woburn Woman's Club, incorporated March 4.
Edward F. Johnson appointed Justice Fourth District Court vice Converse resigned July 1.
Epidemic of La Grippe.
Seventh financial panic.
Warren Academy Free Industrial School established April.
Scandinavian Evangelical Church, Montvale Avenue built.
Number of polls, 3,745.
Number of persons assessed, 5,673.
Acres of land assessed, 7,611.
Tax rate, $15.70.
Number of dwelling-houses, 2,290.
Streets and Courts in the City, 197.
Length of Streets and Courts in all about 63 miles.
First regular resident female Physician, Alice G. Bryant, M.D.
Number of Schools, 48.
Number of Scholars, 2561.
Number of Teachers, 56.
Volumes in Winn Public Library, 30,000.
Sixty Oil paintings and seven pieces of sculpture in Public Library.
Driest April for many years.
Woburn Board of Trade incorporated May.
Innitou Canoe Club, 20 members, 21 canoes.
Woburn A. & M. Association surrendered its charter.
Brilliant display of Northern Lights, February 13.
Hannah Winship, (Boutelle) a native of Woburn, died in Ohio, April 10, aged 101 years, 16 days.
Electric power first used on East Middlesex Street Railroad, July 7 on one car.
April 3, the warmest April day for 22 years, 80 degrees in the shade.
Population about 14,000.
The Rev. Thomas Carter's Parsonage built in 1642, is now a part of the Sylvanus Wood house on Pleasant Street, near the Common, and has 12 outside doors.
Woburn 250 years old, September 17, O.S., October 7, N.S.
Number of marriages in town, 1640-1872, 7,662.
Number of births in town, 1641-1890, 19,188.
Number of deaths in town, 1640-1872, 6,326.
Cars first ran regular trips by electric power, over East Middlesex Street Railroad, Sunday, July 24.
I had often wondered who Count Rumford was so I did some research and this is what I found on this Woburnite:
Count Rumford, Benjamin Thompson, (1753-1814), British Scientist. born at Woburn, Massachusetts, 26 March 1753. He early showed great natural aptitude for science and mathematics, and his marriage, in 1772, to a wealthy widow opened up opportunities for the development of these talents.
He became a protégé of the royal governor of New Hampshire, who sent him to England. Here he rose rapidly in Lord North's government while conducting scientific investigations into gunnery problems. In 1783, he resigned from the British service and, by chance, became acquainted with the elector of Bavaria, at whose invitation he remained at Munich for 11 years as minister of war and police and as grand chamberlain.
At Munich he conducted his most famous experiments, proving that heat was not a fluid as then believed. He reorganized the Bavarian army, police system and public charities and was made a count, choosing his title from Rumford, now Concord, New Hampshire. He returned to England in 1795 where he founded the Royal Institution and the Rumford medal of the Royal Society.
The Rumford professorship at Harvard and the Rumford medal of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences were his foundations. After 1804, he lived in Paris, France, and died at Auteuil, August 21, 1814.
I really learned a lot about the progress of Woburn by typing all this text - word by word. I hope that you will get as much out of this as I did. There is a lot of good material in this listing - Enjoy!
This site created and maintained by: Toni Lasseter (1998, 1999)
|| Ye Olde Woburn || Woburn Families || Butters || Carter || Flagg || Nelson || Richardson || Wyman || Fox ||
|| Johnson || Baldwin || Winn || Cleveland || Account of John Burbeen || Walker || Russell || Kendall || Tidd ||
|| First Burial Ground || First Burial Ground A || Second Burial Ground || Second Burial Ground A ||
|| Woodbrook Cemetery || Modern Obits ||
|| Chrono-Indexical || Lookups || Queries || Maps of Woburn || Surnames || Chronicles of Woburn ||
|| Woburn Community Info || Imagery of Woburn || Lost Souls || Historic Homes of Woburn || Drawings ||
|| Probate Index 1 || Probate Index 2 || Probate Index 2a || Savage || Savage1 || Savage 2 || Savage 3 ||
|| Woburn Marriages to 1699 || Woburn Marriages to 1800 || Freemen of Woburn || Woburn Men In The Indian Wars ||
|| Woburn Men In The Revolutionary War || Brother vs. Brother || If It Be My Fate To Fall ||
|| Woburn Men In The Civil War - 22nd and 39th || Name Changes In Woburn || Postcards of Woburn ||
Federal Census's of Woburn, Massachusetts
|| 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830 1840A 1840B ||
|| 1850A || 1850B || 1850C || 1850D || 1850E || 1850F || 1850G || 1850H ||
|| 1790 Federal Census of Wilmington || Mass. State Census - 1855, 1865 ||
|| Menchin || Remington || Coney/Cooney || Kirtley || Withers ||
|| Bryant || Quimby || Warren || Moody || Putney || Wilkinson || Dancer ||
New Salem, Massachusetts
|| Kellogg || Felton || Meacham || Southwick || Ballard || Holton || Trask || Queries ||
|| Settler's Families A-L & M-W || Federal Census's of New Salem - 1790 ||
Ye Olde Woburn/Toni Lasseter
All Rights Reserved.
Friday, October 21, 2005 05:22 PM